Monday, September 23, 2013

The Runner Who Doesn't Run

So truth be told I actually created this post back in June! Three months later and I am still a runner who doesn't run. But that is all about to change, I feel the fire and excitement coming back. In case you don't know, I ran my first full marathon in May. Then I got completely burned out and tired with training and running. I became a machine who ran because a piece of paper told me to do it, not because I actually wanted to. I guess part of me liked being out there or I would have given up before I even crossed the start line, but you get the point. Summer vacation and the heat started to kick in and then the stress and busyness of wedding planning kicked into high gear and I just had a million reasons to not run. Plus I just didn't really want to. I ran the Boilermaker with my Dad in July and ran every now and then on the treadmill at the gym, but nothing more then a 5k and that was it. I did spend the summer in the AC of the gym and got really into strength training and taking multiple spin classes each week.

I didn't win the challenge but those darn stickers did
keep me pretty motivated!

I also maybe got into the Fro-Yo craze that seems to have taken over the Rochester area recently. I guess it is better for you than Coldstone though. Hopefully.

Strawberries, graham crackers and
cheesecake & strawberry fro-yo.

Now that the wedding is done, the school year has begun, routines have reappeared and the weather has cooled drastically I am ready to get out the running gear. My first step? I signed up for a 5k in 6 days!! Yea, maybe this was a bit drastic, but drastic times call for drastic measures. Plus the race is for an amazing cause. I love the fall/winter race calendar and am looking forward to some more 3-peat races in the upcoming months. I am also missing my running girls terribly and am hoping we can reconnect soon.

So for now I'll leave you will some gratuitous wedding photos, but come back soon for more running chit chat!!








Have you ever fallen off the running wagon?

Want to help me reach 10,000 blog views?
Keep coming back for more!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Steph,
    I decided to check out your blog tonight for the first time. This title attracted me. I am the runner who doesn't run. Your writing here is inspirational. YOU are inspirational. I knew you before all this started and was impressed by your talent as a teacher, but when I started to read about your training I was even more impressed. I wrote here on your blog to offer encouragement. I have been the off again on again running peron for many years now. As you know, I love to run, but illness gets in the way. This past summer, I had a 8 week break from chemo and tried to get back to 3 miles again. It gets harder and harder to do, but every break I get I try to get back to that goal. This past one was so difficult because I now have radiation damage in my lungs that impedes my breathing. Anyway, I wanted to offer this idea. Hills. I felt so discouaged by the amount of time it took to do the distance I wanted that I decided to forget all about the distance and do hills. They are so tangible. You know when you reach a certain point today and pass that point tomorrow you have achieved progress. Plus the downhill is such a rush. I literally yell out AHHHHHHHH if no one is around. Maybe you hate hills and it isn't for you, but I thought I would give you my experience. (plus I have 57 year old knees of steel from running hills). I am back in treatment and once again off the road and on the cancer mill rather than the treadmill. Anyway, on your tough days remember that you can and will do it and I am your fan. Take it from me, no matter how far down you slip, or no matter what knocks you down, you can always get back up again. Miss you Sue

    ReplyDelete