Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Week Eleven Was No Week Seven

Okay, so I had a hard time coming up with something that rhymed with eleven, other then heaven. If you've been with me on this journey you know that training so far has had its up and downs. Week eleven as pretty good overall. I can't believe that we are already into April which will be my last full month of training, crazy!! Here is my weekly recap:


Monday- Dr. Burton visit and Yoga. 

Tuesday- 8.03 miles in Fairport.  

Wednesday- 1 hour spin and sculpt class at the RAC, 2.1 mile run with Molly. 

Thursday- Rest.

Friday- Rest.

Saturday- 3.4 miles around Colonial Williamsburg.

Sunday- 3.2 miles in Duck, OBX.  

Monday- 16 miles in Duck, OBX.


Total Miles: 32.73       Planned Miles: 32         
Total Marathon Miles: 223.07

Monday was a recovery day from the Syracuse Half Marathon. I felt pretty good, considering after the Lake Effect Half Marathon I could barely walk. I scheduled an appointment with Dr. Burton and he said my mobility in my hip was better even though I still had some tender spots. I then headed to yoga to stretch out. I have one more free class so I need to figure out strategically when to use it. Tuesday I had 8 miles on the schedule and Molly and I couldn't make the timing work to run together, so I plotted an 8 mile route around Fairport and headed out early to get it done in the daylight.

Tour de Fairport

This route was a good one, now that they have built the pedestrian bridge over the canal it is great to jump from the canal path to the trolley path and make longer routes. The run kinda sucked though. My body was tired and my calves were sore but I got it done with some walking at the end. Then I enjoyed some of this:

Yummy!
I ate about half of this and then went to bed. I figured since I had such a long run I might wake up thirsty. I woke up about an hour after I had gone to bed and went to the fridge for something to drink. When I opened the fridge I saw I had put my pint of sherbet in the fridge instead of the freezer. I guess I was a little tired and out of it. I did enjoy the rest of it the next day!

Wednesday I did the hour long spin and sculpt class like usual. I finally got to try out my new spin shoes and they rocked!! Molly joined me for part of the class and then went to her personal training appointment. After we were both done at 5:30 we decided to change into our running clothes and head out on the path behind the gym. This run sucked even more! Even though we both had the best intentions to get out there and get some miles done, it wasn't happening. It was almost comical how slow we were running. We decided to give up and head back. When we got back to where we started I was finally warming up, just a bit, so I encouraged Molly to do a tiny bit more and we wound up with just over 2 miles. 

Thursday and Friday were both travel and rest days. Saturday I got this fun run in at Colonial Williamsburg and even though Sunday was scheduled to be my long run day, I pushed it a day back for better weather. 

Easter egg hunt!

My loot!
Well I thought it was a good idea at the time, but I probably would have been better off running on Sunday. The weather on Monday wound up being warmer and sunnier then I am used too and it was humid. I had 16 miles on the schedule and figured out an 8 mile loop that I would do twice. I convinced my dad to come with me on his bike, so he and Ronni rode around while I ran. 

Looks comfortable,
but I actually got tan lines!
When I got to the 4 mile turn around I was feeling pretty good so I decided to keep going, that way my second loop could be shorter. At 6 miles we headed back and at this point I was starting to feel the heat and the sun. Around mile 10 my calves and hip/butt were really starting to hurt and even though I would have liked to do 16 consecutive miles, it wasn't happening. I decided to head back to the house at 12 miles, stretch, maybe change and head back out for the last 4. 

Gotta love Duck!

Okay so I may have had a little bit of fun.
I rolled out and maybe iced my hip, it is all a blur. I stood on the deck with the cool ocean breeze and ate some pineapple and then put my music on and headed back out for the last four. This was more of a run/walk but I just wanted to see my Garmin hit 16. When I finished I rolled out and iced some more. I was sore and overheated and tired for the rest of the day. 

These have nothing to do with my slow pace, nothing at all.
So since I am on vacation and training for a marathon, I thought I would treat myself with a sports massage at a local massage therapy joint. The price seemed decent and they had great reviews on yelp and tripadvisor. I made a 10:15 appointment for Tuesday morning. It was an hour of heaven, and even though I would have liked her to apply a little more pressure, Christina did a great job. If you are ever staying in the OBX and need a massage I highly recommend this place. They were super nice, the place was very quiet and clean. 

Okay so that weekly recap may have covered more then a week but since I altered my training schedule a bit next week will just be a bit shorter. Okay, off to go fly a kite, hope your week is going well!!

Ever get a massage on vacation?

What are you supposed to do when your body breaks down on a run?

No comments:

Post a Comment