Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Week Five and I'm Still Alive

Another week checked off the training calender! Lots going on around the Keiser/Warchol household, sorry for my lack of posts lately. Let's look at week 5 shall we!

Monday- Rest.

Tuesday- Rest. Peer pressure to skip Cobb's Hill run and try on wedding dresses instead. 

Wednesday- Spin class at the RAC. Went early and did some arm strength training. Operation "wedding dress skinny arms" commences.

Thursday- 5.8 miles dark and scary with Molly and Emily. More on that to come.

Friday- 3 speedy miles with Molly & Emily.

Saturday- 10.5 miles from FF Brighton.

Sunday- Rest. 

Total Miles: 19.3        Planned Miles: 21           
Total Marathon Miles: 86.15

Lots of wedding planning and training going on. We have a date, location, photographer, ceremony chairs rented, food planned, meetings with bakers and florist and I think I have managed to find a dress. All in three weeks, not too shabby.

Don't worry we aren't going to display them like this.
Just seeing which we like better.
As far as training goes some weeks I have been a mile or two short and other weeks I have been over. I think I've evened out fine and haven't cut my long runs short at all. I've learned to be flexible with my training plan and not be afraid to move stuff around if needed. 

Thursdays run was a bit scary and reminded me how even being a safe and smart runner can lead to dangerous situations. Molly picked a flat route through Brighton to try and switch it up from the norm. We started out and it was a dark and rainy night. One of the roads we were running on is very narrow and winding has no sidewalks. I stayed out in front because I had a headlamp on, Emily stayed in the middle and Molly pulled up the rear. Most cars gave us our space but a couple cars got a little too close. It was scary. I picked my pace up to get the heck out of the way. We survived and got on to a road with street lamps and wider shoulders. We grouped at the corner and waited for the right of way to cross the next main intersection. When we got the right of way I jumped out in front and was moving along when I heard Molly yell "car back". I looked to my right and saw a car coming towards me it didn't seem to be slowing down enough to come to a full stop at the red light. I slowed down and Molly screamed to stop. The driver didn't even see us until she was right on us. She may have looked something like this:

 
At that point Molly started screaming at her about not paying attention and almost hitting us and punched her driver's side window. The woman had no idea what was going on and I wouldn't be surprised if she thought we were highjacking her car. Don't all highjackers wear headlamps and reflective gear? It was a crazy couple of minutes and she didn't even roll down her window or apologize or say anything. She just drove off and we took a few minutes to gather composure on the sidewalk.

Saturdays long run was, let's just say, long. Thea reminded us that we don't have any more single digit long runs during training. Thanks Thea for that little nugget of information. After the long run I feel like I'm in good shape for this weekends Lake Effect Half Marathon. Can't wait to do my first real race report via Cleveland or Bust!

One last little thought. Being a bride-to-be really has its perks! Here are some photos of free wedding swag we've gotten so far. Score!

Free water bottles in our wedding colors!

Totally free and heavenly cupcakes!!

Do you prefer the raspberry or the orange tablecloth? 
Ever had a close call with a car?

1 comment:

  1. Raspberry tablecloth.

    And the road I live on and do most of my runs is a hilly country road with little to no sidewalks. Sometimes I think they aim for me! Although, I think it's almost more dangerous in town on the sidewalks. Cars actually have to stop at the stop signs when there's pedestrians in the crosswalks...

    ReplyDelete