Monday, February 11, 2013

Week Four and I'm So Sore

Due to Skinny Runner I've had a lot of traffic to my site recently. Thanks for stopping by and I hope you come back and visit to find out how training for my first marathon is going.

Week four was all about switching up my training plan. Usually I'm pretty predictable, but with some wedding appointments and the crazy amount of snow and cold we got this weekend it required some switcheroo's.

Floating in a sea of white this week!

Monday- Rest. Why mess with a good thing.

Tuesday- 4.3 miles at Cobb's Hill. Still didn't hold a candle to this Tuesday run!

Wednesday- Rest. Usually I spin but we had an appointment to check out a wedding venue. 

Thursday- 3.5 mile tempo at SJFC track with Molly. 

Friday- 45 minute fit/cardio workout with Rob.

Saturday- 3.3 miles from Molly's apartment.

Sunday- 9.0 mile run from Fleet Feet Brighton with Molly & Laura

Total Miles: 20.1        Planned Miles: 19

This week I had an increase in mileage and so there is no turning back now! Thursday Molly and I decided to go back to the track and do a tempo workout for a change of scenery and for a reminder about how slow we really are. I've been hearing/reading about Yasso 800's and how they can predict what your marathon time will be. How crazy is it that it seems dead on with what I was predicting myself. I did 4x800's and they say to continue to add more throughout training one by one. It was such a nice change of pace than the same old routes through the city or Brighton. I'll definitely being hanging out with Bart more often.

Friday night I committed to going to a fitness, healthy lifestyle, workout/event thingy with Rob. His work had done all of the promotional materials for the event and I really had no idea what I was in store for. It turns out that the workout was centered around a fitness app called "Workout in a Bag", created by a local trainer. The main idea is that you can do it on your iPad or iPhone at home or while traveling because very little or no equipment is needed. It is also based on muscle confusion. You do a certain amount of random exercises in a designated period of time and you'll never get the same workout twice. For our class, which the trainer lead, she decided to do the workout at the intermediate level. There is also beginner and advanced options as well. I needed pre-beginner!! There are no photo's that documented the catastrophe that ensued. I figured I couldn't be in that bad of shape, uh WRONG!! I could barely do some of the movements and often cut the full amount of reps in half. It was a neat concept but I needed it to be a bit more random. By the third ab exercise in a row I was ready for the free snacks. I then proceeded to be incredibly sore for my Saturday and Sunday runs. The only positive that came out of it was winning a free, hour-long, healthy cooking lesson. I also tried Kale for the first time and actually liked how it was prepared. 

We had some chilly and snowy runs this weekend, but it was a beautiful and serene setting to run in. I also had some great company!

How can you complain about running in this?

Frozen eyelashes, no big deal.
Summer marathon training is for wimps.

How is your winter training going?
Have you ever tried a fitness app?
What types of cross training do you do?


1 comment:

  1. I love those sort of workouts! If I do the same thing more than about 3 times in a row my body starts to get efficient at it and it's not as good.

    I like the Nike Training Club app (and it's free!). They're the same sort of thing - little to no equipment, and you can do them at home!

    The other great one - it's not an app, but videos online - is BodyRockTV. They're really hard workouts, but I think they're really great!

    As for cross training, I do yoga 4-5 days a week (usually only 15-30min, then 1-2 60-90min classes) and body pump (twice a week), and I try to get to spin once a week too, but sometimes I run out of hours in the day. Pump is my fave though!

    ReplyDelete