Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The time I got ENGAGED at Fleet Feet!

In a past post I talked about my typical Tuesday training night. Usually I head to Fleet Feet, meet some combination of the girls and about 100 of my closest Winter Warrior friends, do some hill repeats and head home. Last night was no typical Tuesday because...

We Got Engaged!!!!
My fiance´and latest running accessory!
My afternoon started out with a trip to see Dr. Burton for my hip. I was going to include these photos in my post, but they don't seem as exciting now!


Since I had to go from work, to the doctor, to Fleet Feet I had a giant bag packed with all of my wardrobe changes. Dr. Burton killed my hip (in a good way?). It was more tender then ever and in rough shape. Needless to say I wasn't looking forward to hobbling up the hill. I changed in the bathroom and headed to Subway for a quick and light dinner before the run. While I was sitting there enjoying my dinner, Rob texted me saying that he was going to join me on the run, which is a little weird because he doesn't get out of work early enough to usually join me. We do run together often so it wasn't a completely shock that he wanted to come. He said he'd meet me there and I was looking forward to him coming.

I beat him to Fleet Feet and chatted with my running friends while waiting for everyone else to show up. He got there and we traded gear and looked at some items in the store. He had his regular coat on which I thought was a bit strange since he had his running coat on underneath it. One of us, probably me, mentioned something about the coat and he said he had to go back and put it in the car. He asked if I wanted to go with him and I honestly thought that I really didn't want to go with him, haha. But of course I said I would.

So we walk out to the parking lot and on the sidewalk in front of the store he stopped and turned to me and said (this is where it gets a bit blurry) "I've been thinking about how I want to spend the rest of my life with you" (or something of that nature). While he is saying this he is fumbling with his coat pocket trying to pull something out of it. Then asked "Will you marry me?" To which I think I replied "seriously? really? tonight? This is crazy" multiple times, while he opened the box. Which he practiced by the way to make sure it was facing the right way for me!! Then he asked "do I have to get down on one knee?" which made both of us laugh and I said of course not. Somehow the ring got on my finger and I was completely in shock and blown away. I'm not quite sure what the conversation to the  car was, there was probably a holy cow and an I love you and a I have to call my parents. When I tried they didn't answer.

I wasn't quite sure how to pose so
there are multiple thumb's up!

We headed back to Fleet Feet and by this time I could see Molly and Emily through the glass doors. We ran in and planted myself and my left hand in front of them. That is when Molly proceeded to scream and flip out (more then I did I might add) causing everyone to stare at us and wonder what was going on. Thanks Molly!! Then Laura immediately walked in and started celebrating at the front of the store with us.

I love that he is just as smiley as I am!

In the mean time Kate and Ellen got word about the celebration and came over to congratulate us and ask us if they could announce it in front of the entire group. Ellen even shared how Boots proposed to her, so cool! When it was time for announcements they invited us up on the benches with them and everyone clapped and congratulated us!

Thank you Molly for these amazing photographs!
Once we stepped down I realized I still had a hill run in front of me! It was completely surreal and it wasn't until we started running and Molly began to ask questions that the reality set in. Everyone continued to congratulate and hug us and ask to see my hand for the duration of the run. After the run we decided to go out for a drink with Molly, Laura, Emily & Beth so we could celebrate. Rob is currently doing a Paleo challenge at CrossFit and beer is a big no-no. He wanted to do this challenge totally clean but since you only get engaged once he decided to celebrate with a beer. That's when I knew he was really committed to me!!

Cheers!!

On the way to the restaurant we called our parents and I called my sister to tell them the exciting news My sister said that when she told my four year old nephew that we are going to get married he asked "do you think we'll be invited" and then he asked "will there be cake?" I like his priorities! Thanks to everyone who was involved from our families, both running and genetic and to Rob's boss Glenn for letting him leave work early. I love that we had our own private moment but them immediately got to celebrate with everyone.

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!!!!!!!! Love how he proposed!!!! This is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story to remember for the rest of your lives. I was at Fleet Feet and wondered what all the hoopla was in our midst. Congratulations, many happy miles together always!! ~Glori

    ReplyDelete
  3. BEST hill run ever!!! I am so very excited for you both! Molly's pictures came out great and captured the excitement perfectly! Happy engagement and running!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still so so excited for you guys!!! Good thing I've been hanging out with you for a while; your photog skillz are rubbing off on me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!!!

    And what a terrific story you have to tell! So fun!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is the BEST thing ever. I love how he proposed at the running store!! Congratulations and thanks for sharing with me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! I actually just found your story on Skinny Runner, but I'm from Rochester too.

    If my husband and I were runners before we got engaged, this is how I would have wanted to be proposed to too. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awe. Congrats! I loved that he asked if he had to get on his knee and you said no! Go, sista!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats!! I love that he proposed on a normal weekday evening just before a run. I bet you had more pep in your step!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats! I LOVE running proposals. You can check out our proposal story too: http://runnerb.blogspot.com/2012/12/the-proposal.html

    Enjoy the planning!

    ReplyDelete