Saturday, January 19, 2013

It's my party and I'll BLOG if I want to!

First off, thank you so much for spending some of your day in my world! I can't believe how many people have check out my page in such a short amount of time. I have gotten some great feedback and compliments about my blog both in person and in the blogosphere and I am so happy people are enjoying it. So I guess now that we are getting comfortable with each other I should let you in on a little secret. I'm a stalker. Now I know this may seem startling to some, but if you're here, you are too! 

Early on in my running career (who am I kidding, I don't earn a dime) I began subscribing to Runner's World Magazine. 
I guess I need to do less writing and more reading.
Inside one of the issues was an article highlighting different running blogs. One blog that was mentioned was called Shut Up + Run. I typed it into my computer and began reading some of the posts.  At the time Beth, the author, had just completed Boston after overcoming some pretty major running injuries. I immediately was hooked and am embarrassed to admit, went back to her very first post and read every single thing she wrote. Obviously this took some time but it was like a really great memoir and I love to read memoirs. Her sense of humor is hysterical and she can be raunchy like a teenage boy. Since I teach middle school, I fit right in. She often posts about bodily functions and isn't ashamed to share both embarrassing and heart wrenching stories about her life and running.

Obviously, I'm a big fan.
Well Shut Up + Run opened up Pandora's Box. I didn't know that a whole world of running blogs existed. And when you find one, that often leads to another, which leads you to another one and now you have a whole list that you lay in bed and read before going to sleep. Plus in true stalker fashion you have to do it huddled under the blanket so the light of your iPhone doesn't wake up the guy trying to sleep next to you. 

Most nights I go down the list and check out
who has something new and profound to say.

I thought I'd share a couple more of my favorites and give you a brief description in case you are interested in checking them out. 

The Boring Runner (found via SU+R) Adam is fast, does a bunch of races and recently qualified for Boston. He likes to post a lot of stats, share his training and he is a certified coach. Adam hosts the Sweat/Freeze Your Thorns Off virtual 5k and I won my first blogger giveaway from him. He often does a "funny foto friday" post too.

Tri'ing for Balance (found through a local FB page) Rae (and hubby Greg) is a speedy runner and triathlete who has gone the full Ironman distance. Rae often posts daily updates about life, her training and race plans, yummy looking recipes and most recently, her impending journey into motherhood! Bonus is that Rae is a local gal, whom I have had the pleasure of racing with, me eating her dust, so that doesn't seem as stalker-ish! right? Plus she gave me my first blog shout out via her blog, nothing like a little blog love!

Ben Does Life (found via Runner's World) To understand Ben's blog just watch this video. I think I may have teared up when I saw it the first time. I love that he is real and honest about his weight loss/gain and he just recently published a book. His posts are great because they are often short and sweet and just catch you up on what he has been doing and the Do Life movement. 

Skinny Runner (found via another blog) SR runs. A LOT! She just ran her 40th marathon. Oh to be SR for a day. She often posts about hanging out with other bloggers and attending fun events and she does a lot of helpful product reviews. I feel like she is always traveling and since she is currently a California girls her photos are always sunny, most of the time. I love when she does a post called Crazy Runner Pics. She allows readers to submit funny photos of themselves taken at races. I have a doozy for her, but I think I'll save that story for my own blog.

Molly's Miles (found via Molly) Molly and I met during HFM training a year ago. She was training for her first half marathon too and created a blog to track her progress. Molly has a sarcastic sense of humor and isn't afraid to post a lot of photo's of herself, her Garmin and her food. I also like that I get to make a guest appearance in the blog every now and then. Molly and I will be training for our first marathon's together!

Me, Rob (who says I haven't posted enough skinny photos of him) & Molly

If you have a blog or some go to favorites, please leave a link in the comments below! Now I'll leave you with a photo from my long run Saturday morning!

Clear sidewalks and a sunny sky,
doesn't get better then that in mid January!

 Have any favorite blogs?
Got any subject matter ideas for me?

6 comments:

  1. Aww, thanks girl! I'm so excited you joined the blog world! As you do more tri's, check out "Victoria's Obligatory Tri Blog". She is a runner from DC who is real, hilarious, and a fun read. She also writes the "District Chocoholic"....enough said!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, so honored. Thanks for all of this and for reading every one of my posts. I truly hope it was a good use of your time and I a am flattered that you took the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get a kick out of Hungry Runner Girl (http://www.hungryrunnergirl.com). She's cute, silly, light, includes pics of her adorable daughter, and fast as heck. I can't help feel positive and happy about running after reading her posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a huge blog stalker! I love reading in general but when it comes to running I read anything I can, especially blogs. I probably have about 100 different blogs in the google reader. I am thankful that they don't post every day, otherwise I would never keep up.
    SOme of my favorites are Skinny Runner, Hungry Runner Girl, Once Upon a Lime and C is for Courtney.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY!! Thank you so much for the shout out. I'll try to keep the funny fotos and the stats coming ASAP!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you so much for the shoutout!

    ReplyDelete