Friday, January 25, 2013

Questioning my Sanity

Don't worry I am not giving this whole marathon thing a second thought, I just saw Skinny Runner did this cool runner questionnaire thing. I guess it is kind of like a chain letter where someone does it and tags you and then you have to do it. Well since I am new to the whole blogging thing and don't have many friends, I figured I would just volunteer the info myself, you're welcome! I swear that sounded cooler in my head. Here we go!

1. Why did you start running?
I started running as an added benefit to help lose weight. I also liked the idea of having a goal race and working towards that. For more info check out Something About Steph.

2. Best running memory?
It would have to be running my first half marathon last year. I remember it like it was yesterday! I had a blast and soaked up the race atmosphere. I took photos and videos along the way and couldn't believe the crowd, signs, bands and that I did it! It was the culmination of a lot of training and hard work.
April 2012
3. What shoes do you run in?
When I did my first 5k I was running in some random pair that I normally wore to the gym. When I started my 10k training I got officially fitted at my local Fleet Feet store. I got Brooks Ghost and have never looked back! I have expanded my Brooks arsenal a bit though!

Ghosts, Cascadia & Pure Flow...oh my!
4. Favorite & least favorite distances to run?
I think my favorite distance is around 5 miles. Whether it is a race or a training run, it's long enough to get a good workout but short enough to not need all the extra gear and nutrition that comes with long runs. Least favorite is probably a 15k. Its a long race with no medal at the end. Enough said.

5. Do you have a running partner?
I have lots of running partners!! When I started running I ran alone until my first 5k race. Now I get bored when I am alone. I do a lot of group runs from Fleet Feet and excursions with my running pals!
Me, Rob, Katie, Laura & Molly. 
6. What is your favorite running accessory?
I guess I would have to say my Garmin. If Garmin isn't there or doesn't work, it's like the run never happened! I also can't run without my Balega socks. I've never had any foot issues while running and I swear by those socks!

7. Outdoor or indoor running?
I prefer outdoor running. Especially after my most recent indoor running experience! I don't hate the treadmill but it does get boring. I need a change of scenery.

8. What is your favorite time of the day to run?
I don't have a favorite time of day to run. On the weekends I tend to run in the morning. If I wait until afternoon or evening I get busy or unmotivated. During the week I tend to run in the evening because of my work schedule. I like both!

9. What races have you run?
I have run 35 races to date. Mostly in the Rochester area and upstate New York! I am looking forward to my first true destination race in Cleveland.


10. What is the hottest or coldest weather you have ever ran in?
During HFM training in February of last year we got caught in a horrible snowstorm during one of our long runs. It was a crazy survival situation that involved jumping into snow banks to get out of the way of oncoming snowplows. Any of us that were there on that run just has to mention the Mendon run and everyone totally understands. It's like a great war story.

That's Katie, in case you couldn't tell.
Me, alive at the end of it.
11. Other exercises you love?
I have been enjoying spinning lately. Not sure if that will transfer to getting my bike out on the road once the weather gets nice, but it's a good cross training activity and it gives my hips a bit of a break. 

12. Are you currently training for something?
Duh! Have you seen the title of this blog! Check this out to see what's along the way.


13. What are your current or future goals?
My current goal is to get through marathon training injury free. I have lots of half marathons I want to do throughout the year as well. As far as future full's I just want to finish the first one first. But this isn't a bucket list thing!

14. Advice for new runners?
Get a training plan. Tempo and Hills suck but they pay off, don't avoid them. Trust your body and adjust accordingly, don't feel like you have to do everything exactly like your plan says . Get stock in Body Glide. Experiment with different nutrition combinations until you find what works for you. Check out Marshall's and Target for some decent quality, less expensive running gear.  

15. Why did you start a blog?
I thought it would be neat to track my training in a different way. I also thought maybe someone would be interested to hear what I'm going through, especially if they are considering distance running.


Feel like answering any of these questions?
Leave me some comments people!


1 comment:

  1. I loved reading this Stephanie! A great reminder why we all run. And you are 110% right about the 15k.... Totally sucks with no medal. Why do we do the Boiler Maker again??? See you for the Saturday Morning Group Run. -Sarah

    ReplyDelete