Saturday, January 19, 2013

January 19, 2012

Ever remember where you were and what you were doing exactly a year ago? I know we all have significant memories and over time they fade, but if I said what were you doing on 1/19/12 some of you may have the same memory as me! It all started with the photo below.
I'm in the second row, in gray, looking down. 
Now that I look at this photo I see some familiar faces, funny how we didn't know each other then! The photo was taken on December 29, 2011 by Fleet Feet Rochester. This was an info session for their HFM (Half/Full Marathon) training program. I signed up that night to train for my first half marathon!  This info session lead to my memory on January 19th, 2012.

It was a Thursday and I was at school teaching away when I got a text message saying my sister had gone into labor! There was a strategic plan that went into place when I got that text message. I think there may have even been an itinerary with phone numbers, addresses, etc. Yea, my sister is organized! As excited as I was about the impending arrival of a new niece or nephew I panicked. You see that night my first group tempo run for HFM was scheduled and this is where we would get our pace for the pace groups we would run in. 
Another FF photo. This was from our first long group run on 1/21/12
According to the plan, depending on when my sister went into labor I would possibly have to care for my nephew Colin, who was three at the time. Because of the timing I needed to pick him up from daycare and bring him home and watch him for the night. Ahhh does FF offer a babysitting service by any chance?! Luckily my mom was coming into town and rather then go to the hospital first, she came and relieved me of my duties so I could go run. She would also bring Colin to the hospital to visit his new sister!
Ainsley Kate was born on 1/19/12
I changed quickly into my running gear and helped Colin change into his "Big Brother" t-shirt my sister had laid out for him to wear to the hospital. My mom came and I headed to Ridgeway for my first tempo run on the "cherry picker" route. As I was driving there, the snow was really coming down. The snow fall and wind was pretty crazy during our entire first run and I remember Ellen or Mike saying that it couldn't get much worse then that for a winter run. Boy were they wrong, but that's a whole other post for February!

 I was feeling so guilty about passing my nephew off and not being able to go visit my new niece, I called the hospital and got permission to visit after visiting hours. I remember walking through the hospital in my winter running gear getting some very strange looks, but I was so glad I got to go and visit the little bird. 
I made myself a little more presentable
when I visited her the next day.
So happy first birthday Ainsely Kate, I will always remember the day you were born! 

What's your favorite running memory?
Were you at Ridgeway on 1/19/12?

7 comments:

  1. Hello! I saw your comment on Joe Raymond's blog about training for the Cleveland Marathon. I'm chronicling my training for the Cleveland Marathon (half) at thefrolickingfells.com. It'll be my first half marathon ever!

    My favorite running memory is finishing the Cleveland Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving 2012. I was sick with a bad cold and a sore throat when I ran and I didn't get much sleep the night before. I was pretty skeptical about my chances (it was a 5 miler--longest race ever for me!). However, not only was I able to run the entire race from start to finish, but I also managed to finish well under 50 minutes (which was my goal). It was a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I checked out your site and can't wait to follow your journey as well! Good luck!

      Delete
  2. I vaguely remember both those days. Trying to figure out why I am stare you at the fuelbelts during the info session picture. I guess one can never have to many fuel belts.

    -LaRon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One can never have enough running gear! This was before they started the session, I'm either looking at my phone or reading the packet nervously, haha.

      Delete
  3. I have too many awesome running memories to count, honestly. A few:

    -Finishing my first half-marathon the year that the Rochester Half/Full returned (2005?)
    -My first "serious" trail run with the Fleet Feet/(Salomon, at the time) Endurance Team (2009)
    -The 10 seconds when I actually led a Dirt Cheap Stage Race because everyone else took a wrong turn (2010?)
    -Running a kickin' race at the 15K Ridgewalk (2011)
    -Running bits and pieces of the 3rd stage of DCSR in 2011 with so many who'd become my family (2011).
    -Watching >1,000 new runners cross the finish line of their first race as a NoBo Running Coach (2008-2012)...

    I believe that on 1/19/2012 I was flying from New Zealand to Singapore. I was in Rochester in spirit, but not in person! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was there at Fleet Feet that night, although we hadn't met yet. It's hard to believe it's been a year, but what a year we've had!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been an amazing year and I don't see stopping any time soon!

      Delete