Monday, January 14, 2013

Day One: Rest

Happy Monday! So I may have lead you on with my post yesterday saying that my training starts today. It does in fact start today but it is an official rest day, and I don't mess with the training gods, so I am taking full advantage. In fact, the first few weeks of training are pretty much the same as what I have been doing in the last month or so to prepare me for training. When I decided to tackle this thing called the marathon I did it with the help, guidance and support of my family and many running buddies who will appear in the blog in the upcoming months. Molly and I decided to train together, most likely over breakfast or some other post run meal, even though we wouldn't do the same marathon. Molly adapted the Hal Higdon training program, Marathon Novice 1 and sent it my way. I went through and made some changes to reflect when I usually cross train and some races I wanted to work in, and Voila we had a plan.

Week One Training Plan
Monday: Rest/Yoga
Tuesday: 3 miles (Cobb's Hill)
Wednesday: Cross Training (Spinning @ RAC)
Thursday: 3 miles (Tempo)
Friday: Rest
Saturday: 6 miles
Sunday: 3 miles

For the past year and a half I have practiced yoga with the talented Molly Huff who is an accomplished runner and triathlete herself. Her Monday night class is a class of type A runners, endurance athletes and some of their significant others. Then there was me, just trying to fit in and pretend like I belong with people whom I deeply respect and cheer for at local races like they are my BFF's. Practicing yoga on Mondays is a great way to start the week. I can normally work out some kinks that may have developed from running through the weekend and burn off some calories from some much needed couch time after the running.  Since we are an active bunch, Molly will often customize the class to whatever needs we have.

At least it's cozy!
Fast forward to 2013 and the year of the budget and unfortunately yoga was one variable I could cut to help pay the bills. I don't think Rob would have been happy with me if we went all Amish for the year with no electricity or internet. So that has left me on my own for Monday night yoga. We live in a pretty cluttered one bedroom apartment where Rob's bike rules the roost for the winter. Making room for a yoga mat and space to stretch out is challenging. Factor in using the yoga music station on Pandora and having to deal with distracting commercials and it just isn't the same!

Hmmm can I get some room please?

I believe in the practice and it's ability to help me de-stress and maybe even be a better runner so I will continue on my own. I plan to return to my Monday night class every now and then when I really need it. Like week 14 of training, that one is gonna be a doozy.

Do you practice yoga? 
On your own or at a studio?

No comments:

Post a Comment