Thursday, January 17, 2013

Wednesday Weigh-In

If you've read Something About Steph you know my running journey began with Weight Watchers, and if you haven't read the page yet what are you waiting for?! Isn't the suspense killing you, go ahead, I'll wait :)

Vegas: Two months before beginning WW
Welcome back! From week one Wednesday has always been my weigh-in day. I joined WW on the Wednesday in between Christmas and New Years in 2010. I quickly found a home with people who understood me. My Wednesday meetings were lead by Kerry. A young, energetic, hot blonde (according to some of the male members) who had a ton of enthusiasm and wanted you to truly succeed. I met a lot of people young and old who were all struggling with the same issues I was.

Even though the size of the group has shrunk and grown over the last two years, and Kerry has since left for a new career, I always found the meetings beneficial for support, some good laughs, food ideas and a fresh start to my next week. So why is it when times get tough and you need to cut back in the area of spending to help pay the bills, you have to cut out the stuff that is good for your mental and physical health? In the last month I have had to give up doing yoga at a studio and attending WW regularly and my gym membership. On Wednesday's lately I come home from spinning and weigh myself on my rickety old scale, which I am convinced groans every time my toe touches it. I do write it down and keep track of my progress or lack of progress depending on the week. But I have no one to clap for me when I have success, no one hands me any stickers or prizes. Is 31 too old to create a reward/sticker chart for myself? Can you tell I am a teacher?!

As part of my marathon training I included a cross training day on Wednesdays. I have been taking a spinning class with some of my fellow art teachers since school started in September. It's an awesome class. I love the instructor Trish and she has a really great selection of music to get my legs moving. She incorporates a lot of variety in her 45 minute class.
See Steph Spin- Love that no one can see you sweat!

This bike was made for me...literally!
I love that she ends every class with a 90 second mile. The music is a crazy Irish/Celtic song and you push as hard as you can to try to get to one mile. It isn't really a mile, it's a spin bike mile, but it is still a great challenge. Especially when you already think you're spent from an exhausting class and can't push anymore. Plus she always says to picture a finish line and someone waiting for you there. I always picture what the finish line at Cleveland will look like and that everyone is cheering for me exclusively. Hey a girl can dream right, but that's a whole other post all together. Don't worry I'm working on it!

Ever done a weight loss program?
Would you try a spinning class?
Anybody out there? ;) 

2 comments:

  1. I've been coaching for quite a few years, and I can assure you that no one is too old for a sticker chart. Seriously. You're doing well to write down and track your weight - I assume you're doing the same with your workouts.

    I always encourage my clients to set goals (we usually go for a certain % of workouts completed, but you could certainly also set weight lose goals), chose an incentive, write both things down - and stick that note somewhere they'll see it. Incentives can be small things: a stop at the yogurt shop, an express manicure, new running socks, even a one-time return to your yoga class! Of course, none of these are free - but they may help you stay motivated, and are cheaper than weekly yoga+WW+gym membership!

    ReplyDelete