Thursday, May 30, 2013

Cleveland or Bust- 26.2 Part One


I am sorry that this race recap is so stretched out. Life has really gotten in the way the last couple of weeks. Hopefully you are still waiting with baited breath, haha. I know I had to look back to see where I left off, you too

I woke up very bright and early and started my preparations. Having everything laid out was really helpful, especially because I was trying to be kind to Rob who was still sleeping. The plan was to meet my Dad around 5:20ish and meet some Rochester peeps in the hotel lobby at 5:30. When I got to my parents room my Dad opened the door very slowly and looked at me cautiously. I smiled and said something along the lines of "let me in". He reminded me of the time we traveled to Buffalo for a half marathon and I knocked on their hotel door panicking because I had been sick all night and morning and was going to have to drop out of the race. He was nervous that I might be having the same issue.  
Nope, good to go, let's get running!

I handed my race bag and Gatorade to my Mom and Dad and I headed downstairs. We met up with some fabulous ladies from Rochester and started to follow the masses walking towards the Cleveland Browns Stadium. It was on the cooler side but it was definitely humid and it wasn't even 6am. Ugh. Walking over with a mass amount of people made me so excited. I was surprisingly calm and couldn't wait to get started. Once we got near the stadium we decided to go inside to use real bathrooms and check out the scene. 

                                            


You wouldn't think it was that big of a luxury to use a real bathroom but believe me, it was! The lines moved fast too. I wasn't overly hungry so I slowly munched on my bagel as we walked around. We went outside of the stadium and took so pre-race photos. You know, to prove that I was actually there. 

Aren't you impressed with my color coordination?
Dad and Me,
Getting ready to set new distance PR's!!
Exactly two years after our first 5k race together. 

We walked down to the starting coral to find a spot to sit and relax a bit. Getting there really early can be annoying, but I'd rather be there and have time to kill then run late and stress out. We found the 12 minute pace flag which was located near the 10k start flag, so Dad and I would get to stay together until it was my time to run off. The marathon started at 7am and the 10k started at 7:30. Or whenever the hell I got my slow butt out of the way. While waiting, Mr. Dave found me! Here is proof that he was there as well. It was nice to have some familiar faces even though I knew I would be primarily running alone.  


We were all just sitting on the curb hanging out and people watching and at one point it started to get pretty crowded. There was so much energy and excitement in the air. There was a strong police presence and they even had dogs tracking for scents. Good thing I still smelled good at that point.

Starting to line up.
As the time got closer to 7am there was cheering and clapping and a helicopter flying over head and then it was time to go. But not really. If you've ever done a decent sized race you know what I'm talking about. You start and then stop and start up again and then slow down. It took me about 10 minutes to get to the starting line. Dad followed me on the sidewalk for a while smiling and waving and it is such a blur now. I do remember the juggling runner, more on that later. Glad I recorded some of it.



There was music, announcers and a ton of spectators cheering. I do have a strong memory of runners slapping the start line banner when they went under it, so of course I did too. I felt cool. It was a little overwhelming and I am pretty sure I got a lump in my throat and maybe some watery eyes. But I was just ready to run. Physically and mentally I felt great and I was looking forward to seeing Rob and Mom who were just a mile or so into the race. I knew where they were going to be and I didn't see them right away so I remember looking all over for them and hoping I didn't pass them. I don't think they were expecting me either because my Mom was struggling with the camera as I approached them for a hug and a kiss. I knew I wouldn't see any family members until the half way point so I wanted to soak up as much support as I could, even though it was so early in the race. 

The first half of the race was wonderful. Tons of crowd support. There were also aid stations every 1-2 miles and they were organized with signs and volunteers yelling out the type of drink they were passing out. The race started out by running on the expressway, what a great way to see a new city. It was cool and the wind actually made me have chills for the first hour or so. Also, since we drove this part of the course I knew there was a great deal of shade. I went out conservatively and slowed down during the water stops just like I wanted to, all was going smoothly. 

Oh shady streets, how I took you for granted! 

I do remember lots of signs, the best said "run fast, she farted" and had an arrow pointing to another spectator. I remember a lot of singers, bands and announcers. I remember lots of yellow volunteer shirts. I remember lots of high fives to kids and even a few adults. One neighborhood/aid station that stuck out a lot was the Tremont area. They welcomed the runners with a banner hung high and their aid station was like no other. TONS of spectators, hanging out at a bar none the less, loud music and crazy volunteers. It was at this point (not sure of the mileage) that I decided to take a port a potty break. I was concerned about the line and waiting in it as runners passed me by and then I remember something Thea told me prior to the race and that was to enjoy the experience. It was at that exact moment that I decided that I didn't care what my time was, or how close to last I was, I just wanted to finish and I was going to enjoy getting there. Miles 10-12 were challenging mentally. Hearing so many people around me say how close they were to finishing was frustrating. I told myself I wasn't going to use music until the second half, but I was really tempted to put my ear buds in. It was also during this time that the sun had come out, it was still humid and it was starting to get hot. The bridge coming back into the city had a great view and if I had been doing the half I probably would have enjoyed it a bit more. I just kept telling myself that I would see my family at the half, could take a little break, make some changes and get mentally refreshed for what was still to come. I also had texted my Mom and Dad and asked if they could get a soda for me. I was looking forward to something caffeinated, cold and sweet. 

The signage for the race was great. Everything was color coded based on the race you were doing and this made navigating much easier. I was happy to see that the split for the half and full marathoners was a few blocks from the finish line so it wasn't too torturous. It was a killer to see lots of runners with medals strolling back to their hotels or cars with their family members. My Dad met me and ran a few blocks with me to my Mom and Rob. It was great to have some familiar company. When we got to my Mom and Rob I stopped and drank some soda and asked for my bag since I didn't see it, but my bag was not there. 


Come back for more...I'll try to be quicker this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment