Friday, May 17, 2013

RUN CLE Goals and Prep

"If you want to run, run a mile. 
If you want to experience another life, run a marathon."
-Emil Zatopek


A little under 48 hours until I run my first marathon. Wow, the date I have been thinking about for 5-6 months is almost here. It's kinda funny when you think of a marathon. What I have been excited about and looking forward to, will probably be the most challenging and possibly painful experience of my life to date. It's probably what I would think pregnancy feels like, but the anticipation is even longer. Plus then you have to kinda raise the kid for the rest of your life. Hell, a marathon sounds like a walk in the park to me now that I think of it. No wonder people think marathoners/runners are insane and why many people have probably blocked me on their Facebook news feed. I have been so excited this week and am hoping the runner's high sticks with me for the 5-6 hours it will take me to complete the race. I've read many things that say don't worry about time for your first marathon. It's a guaranteed PR (personal record)! Well that's nice and all, but I think most runners are a little competitive and so I've set some goals for myself. Don't laugh too hard at my turtle pace, after all, how many miles will you be running on Sunday? Don't answer that if you are running 26.2 or more ;)

Lots of training miles under my belt. 

A Goal: FINISH!
My major goal is to just finish. I just want to keep telling myself to put one foot in front of the other and go get em'. I've been picturing that finish line for a while and imagining what the relief will feel like when it's all done. In my spin class we always finish with a 90 second "mile" at the end of each class. There is this awesome celtic song she plays and prior to us starting she always tells us to imagine a finish line and the people there waiting to cheer us on. Every single time I have pictured Cleveland, even though I really don't know what the finish area looks like, haha. The last spin class I took I actually got a little teary eyed (thank goodness it's dark). Deep down I want everything to go smoothly and I just want to get to that finish line. But of course I have a time goal too.


B Goal: Sub 6 hours
Part of the reason I picked to run Cleveland is that I heard it was flat and fast. It also has an 8 hour course time, so I thought if the "you know what" hits the fan, I wont get kicked off the course. I would really like to finish under 6 hours. I know it is possible, but it will depend on a lot of factors and I don't want to have this be my only goal and get upset if I don't achieve it. I'm hesitant because all of my long runs were done in much cooler temperatures, but it would be great if there is a 5 in front of my number when I'm laying on Ohio ground, with a medal around my neck, most likely balling my eyes out. My plan is to tape a pace chart to my water bottle in my fuel belt. Then I have it on me if my time seems close and I can refer to it if all is going well.


Looking toasty. 

If you're not doing anything on Sunday you are welcome to track my progress. If we are FB friends I have it set to show up in my news feed, hopefully it works. If not, then you can go to this link and create a user name/password, search for me (Last name: Keiser) and you can have it emailed, text, or posted to your FB or Twitter pages.

A lovely "good luck" gift from my coworker. 

I cannot thank you all enough for the well wishes and support I have received throughout this entire process. I started the blog as a journal and a place for me to vent when the going got tough. It was challenging but that is exactly what I signed up for. I hope to capture the weekend with lots of photos and videos so I am sure there will be a series of race recaps. Stay tuned and hopefully I'll be wearing this and my medal Sunday afternoon...




2 comments:

  1. You are SO ready for this!! PS....running a marathon is kinda like being pregnant....aches, pains, weird cravings, issues sleeping, along with some cool shit along the way...and Im guessing ALOT of pain in the home stretch...and a very cool "finishers medal" either way :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph - just signed up to track you on Sunday. Wishing you all the best. You are ready for this; you've trained long and hard and you will be successful. Just imagine that finish line and how great you will feel about yourself. You go, girl!!

    Lots of Hugs,
    Ron

    ReplyDelete