Sunday, June 16, 2013

A Spirited Review



On Wednesday I went to see the premiere of Spirt of The Marathon 2. My yoga buddy Andy (hey Steph's Stalker) had introduced me to the first one which I watched online sometime last year. The first documentary debuted in 2007 and followed 6 people on their journey to train and run the Chicago Marathon. Even though when I originally watched the movie I hadn't run the 26.2 distance yet, the back story of the athletes and watching them was so inspiring. So when I heard there was going to be a second documentary I was looking forward to it!

SOTM2 followed seven athletes as they trained, prepared and ran the Rome Marathon. It also gave you a glimpse into their personal lives and in some instances why they decided to start running or conquer the marathon. For a couple it is because it is their means of income to support themselves and their families, one with Olympic goals. For a different pair it was therapy and their way to give back from family tragedies or illnesses. For one it was to escape the stress of home and work and to do something for herself. And for a pair of (senior) cousins from Italy it was about family, tradition and staying young.

Having the post-marathon blues myself, I was hoping the movie would be the inspiration I needed to get my butt back out there and set some new goals. Not too mention that I loved visiting Rome and was curious to see the terrain and course for the marathon. The movie did not disappoint. I laughed, cried, sympathized (especially with the first timers) and felt proud to be in the same club with these seven strangers. Even though both movies have the same concept there, was something about covering an international marathon that really opened my eyes to the fact that people all over the world do what I do in my little neck of the woods in Rochester, NY. If you get the chance to see the movie it is totally worth it. I watched the first one on YouTube. The reviews on their FB page have been mixed, but give me a theatre full of runners, running friends and a movie all about my favorite hobby and I am easy to please!

No comments:

Post a Comment