Sunday, June 2, 2013

Cleveland or Bust- 26.2 The Finish


At mile 19 I don't know who my parents were happier to see, me or Rob. Turns out that Rob texted them that he was going to bandit the race with me. But what Rob hadn't realized was that my parents didn't know what bandit meant. They actually wound up googling it, haha. They were worried about leaving him behind in the hotel and in typical Rob fashion he didn't bring his cell with him during the run. Oh well. We were all reunited and the volunteers at mile 19 were smiling and happy to see me. There were some kids who had made water balloons, out of plastic gloves I think and as refreshing as the cool water would have felt, I politely declined. I welcomed some shade in the park and my parents lawn chair, oh and the salty pretzels too! It was at this point that I realized I didn't have a whole lot of the race left and I was happy that the next time I would see my parents would be at the finish line. It was also at this point that I pretty much begged, without really asking, Rob to stick with me for the remainder of the race. Even though he wasn't prepared at all to run over 12 miles in the end, he quietly applied sunscreen (even though he was already burned) and took in some fuel. I didn't really realize until I was back in the hotel room, but not many significant others would have done what he did for me, nor would they even be able to do the mileage that he wound up doing in all. Yup, very lucky.

As we moved through the aid station one volunteer held water for me the entire time I paused with my family and happily passed it to me as I went by. I think there was a Statue of Liberty too, maybe I hallucinated that. As we continued through the park there was more shade then we had before. Having Rob to talk to was such a great distraction but it was getting warmer. In the park their were mini gardens set up by different ethnic community groups. One had a fountain and I wanted to jump in! There were also really neat arched bridges that had arched passageways that we ran under. It was somewhere along the way that a race official came along and told all of us that we had to continue on the sidewalks. At this point there were the same familiar faces we had seen over the last few miles. Sometimes we would pass them, sometimes they would pass us, but we all tried to smile and encourage each other.

Ice, Ice Baby.

As we approached mile 21 there was another aid station and a medical station too. I went to the medical station and asked if they had any ice I could use to keep cool. I remember at the Boilermaker last year, one thing that really helped me from over heating was keeping chunks of ice in my hands. While the man opened a cooler and pulled out a couple bags, I saw a couple runners laying down on beds under the tent, and hoped that I had enough in me to make it to the finish line and to be smart about it. The man rolled one of the bags of ice and placed it on my neck under the collar of my shirt, he gave me a second bag as well. He also gave me some advice about putting water over the top of my head saying that it was really important to keep the top of my head cool.


Up until this point we were doing a steady amount of running and walking. But for the next couple miles we would just walk. I knew we were getting closer to the lake and I was hoping that there would be some of the breeze that we had experienced earlier in the day. I was wrong. Just more heat and direct sunlight. As we left the park and entered into what seemed like an abandoned, concrete jungle I asked Rob to tell me about work and whatever else I could get him to talk about to keep my mind from wandering too much.

It didn't exactly feel like this, but it felt good!
The ice was a huge help! I took the second bag and placed it in the front of my shirt and kept moving it around. As the ice started to melt I ripped a small hole in the top of the bag and poured small amounts of icy cold water on my head, like the medic had suggested. I also drank the water and it was so refreshing.


We were on a small side road when I realized we would soon be making the right hand turn onto St. Clair Ave which I knew would be the last long haul and when the city would come back into view. When I looked ahead the few runners in front of me were turning left. WHAT?!? No, we should be going right. This is when not looking closely at the map bites you in the butt. But then I noticed runners coming from the left and running towards the right. Rob suggested that maybe there is a switchback and sure enough he was correct. When we came to the intersection and looked left there was a u-turn a short distance away. You can be sure that I considered not doing the u-turn, especially since my Garmin was already telling me I would have more then 26.2 miles. But I sucked it up and did it. Finally the city skyline was in view and I realized I had just over a 5k to the finish. It was somewhere during mile 23 that I decided I wanted to try to do some portions of running, but as soon as I pushed off I realized I must have acquired some serious hot spots/blisters on the bottoms of both of my feet. It hurt a lot. So I continued moving forward changing my gait, which was probably stupid and resulted in me getting another blister on the heel of my left foot. During this last stretch we were running on the sidewalks and there were a couple trees here and there for shade. God was it boring. Any runners we were passing were really struggling. Then I noticed a cute couple holding hands in normal everyday clothing. They approached one of emergency personal directing traffic and asked how far it as until the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, which was my destination, and I was really annoyed by them. I felt like they were completely out of touch with what was going on around them and I thought they were dumb tourists. Yes, now I realize how harsh that sounds, but they were just out for a joy stroll and I was suffering. Sorry annoyingly cute couple.


The skyscrapers off in the hazy distance were getting closer and closer and I really wanted to run more, I really did. We then started getting a little bit more trees and a little bit more shade and the desolated city started to come back to life. I knew how close we were and Rob assured me that the road leading into the finish line would be down hill. Around mile 25 there was the final aid station and I was glad that I wouldn't have to pass another one. I joked with some men about how good their ice cold sodas looked and they popped open their cooler and offered me a Pepsi. Oh it was so good! I only drank about half of it and was then burping for the last mile, but it was refreshing. We made our last turn onto E. 9th Street and I saw some finished runners and I knew the end was near. I tried to pick up my pace and pushing through the stinging pain on the bottoms of my feet. We passed the outside patio of a bar and there were encouraging cheers from inside. I think this is probably where I teared up for the first time. Other people along the way clapped and cheered and said to keep going and I tried my best. Then my body just began walking again, even though my mind told it to keep running. It was like the two things were separate. As Rob and I approached the 26 mile flag we crossed the street and headed down hill. I am sure I tried to say something profound to him, about sticking it out with me and how I'll never be able to do for him what he did for me, and then he just broke off as I entered the chute.



The first thing I noticed was that there were lots of guys breaking down the fish line area and timing mats. Then I heard announcers still announcing and I wondered if they would call my name, they seemed to be talking about a couple who was ahead of me crossing the finish line hand in hand. Then I saw my Mom cheering and screaming for me and at this point I totally break down. A little further down to the finish line my Dad was screaming and cheering and taking photos. Then I heard my name announced and a "Way to go, Steph". I had finished, running, head in my hands crying and looked up to see a volunteer coming over to me with my medal and a huge smile. She gave me the biggest hug and even though I had been on my feet for over seven hours and was a stinky, sweaty mess, she didn't care, she didn't even know me. But even she understood what I had just accomplished.  



I then cut through an opening in the fence so I didn't have to walk much further and my Dad was there. For the entire 26 miles I was envisioning laying in the grass under some shade from a tree when I was done. The opening in the fence was right next to a tree so I plopped down and waited for Rob and Mom to come over. Laying in the grass was great and I kept bouncing between being emotional to ecstatic that I was done. I took my socks and shoes off to discover some big blisters and purple toe nails, it felt so good to have my sneakers off. I had been waiting about a week to put these on...


Rob presented me with a card that Molly had given him to give to me at the finish. I totally started crying again when I read it. Molly was such a huge part of my success along the way and she is an amazing running partner and friend. Then my parents presented me with a sneaker charm for my Pandora bracelet. I am so lucky to have such supportive parents. From the start of my running hobby two years ago, they have been there every step of the way and there was no question or hesitation from them to be in Cleveland that weekend with me. Looking back on it now, the fact that they were out in the Cleveland heat and sun for over seven hours, standing and walking, I don't feel like I can thank them enough.

Since most of the race festivities had ended we decided to walk back to the hotel. I regret now not taking the time to take photos there. I don't have any photos with Rob or my parents or of me at the chute with my medal. We were all just hot and tired. As we walked back, the announcers passed us and I thanked them for staying until the end so we could all have that experience.

A sign from one of the businesses we passed.
We also took a pit stop on a park bench about half way to the hotel. No shame in that. We stopped in the hotel lobby so my parents could check out and so I could sit on a comfy couch. I think this is where we said our goodbyes  and I remember crying again as I hugged them goodbye and as they congratulated me.

Rob and I headed back up to our room and I liked that fact that I was in air conditioning and not moving. I also asked him to take my photo before I stretched and showered.

Spinning guitar medal!

3 comments:

  1. I always tell my runners that the first one is just for the experience - sounds like you took FULL advantage of that. Congrats on finishing the race, doubly so in the heat, which you definitely haven't adjusted to yet. And bonus points for Rob, for sticking it out with you. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, congratulations, Steph! You did an awesome job. I love reading your blog - so interesting, and it always makes me smile; however, there were parts in this one where I teared up. You did it, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sitting here reading your amazing story and crying at both my pride for you and in your accomplishment! It was a phenomenal journey and I expect it's just the beginning of what you will eventually go on to do. Congratulations, Baby Girl! Mom

    ReplyDelete