Friday, June 7, 2013

Girls on The Run is So Much Fun!

For the second year in a row I was a head coach for Girls on The Run (GOTR) of Greater Rochester. I had heard of this fabulous program and when I found out my yoga instructor was a director, I asked her how to get involved. She said I would be great at coaching and asked me about setting up a new site in my school district. I loved every second of it and there was no question about me returning as a coach this year. To make it even more enjoyable I convinced Molly to be an assistant coach this year.

Our site filled this year which was really exciting, so on the first day we had 15 amazing third, fourth and fifth grade girls who were excited, nervous, smiley, uncomfortable and very cold! All of our girls were new to the program and a lot of the girls did not know each other. The first few lesson are all about getting to know each other and I feel like our girls bonded very quickly. 

Learning each others names.
Coach Keiser made us go outside and it
was windy & Freezing! But we are tough.

We had such a cool mix of girls. I think one thing I love about GOTR is that it brings together girls whom would maybe otherwise not be friends and by the end they all love each other like sisters. Maybe better then sisters. GOTR is a ten week program that teaches girls about self-esteem, healthy behaviors, values and teamwork all while training to run a 5k. We met twice a week for an hour and a half each day. It's really funny how adult-like the girls can be. Sometimes they come in crazy and off the walls and sometimes they come in bearing the weight of the world on their shoulders. Sometimes both all at once! They are so honest with us and with each other and they like to ask questions, a lot of questions.


Playing a version of red light, green light with Coach Molly.

GOTR is big on giving them different items as lap counters to help them keep track while they are running. Early on we adapted a tradition of giving them a bead to represent each mile they ran. They treasured these beads, you would think they were made out of gold, or Justin Beiber. One of the girls started putting them on her shoe laces and most of the girls followed suit. They were so proud of the beads and would need to pick them out immediately after finishing. I likened this to running for medals, young or old, it is always fun to have some bling to work towards. 

More miles, more beads. 

Over the course of ten weeks we observed 15 young girls become better listeners, more confident, athletic, understanding, patient and smiley. Their running fashions were pretty trendy too, I didn't even know they made running skirts for young girls! Plus it made me proud to see them rock their official bubblegum pink GOTR shirt. 

The group after running their practice 5k. 

Coach Molly and I decided to make the girls little gift bags with items that were running related or things they could wear during the 5k race. They also got a blue GOTR water bottle and bandana. We got together an hour or two before the race and worked on their certificates and stuffing and decorating the gift bags. Pink of course!

Gift bags ready to go.
The 5k was at MCC and the coaches arrived early to check in an do any last minute preparations. The girls could arrive at 5pm and would have an hour to celebrate with their team before the race started. The weather was pretty comfortable all day but there was a threat of a pop up thunderstorm.

Coaches ready to go!

As the girls started to arrive and gather in our little area we had fabric markers so they could sign each others shirts. The girls had also written thank you notes to someone who had made it possible for them to participate in GOTR and they passed them out while we were together. Most wrote them to their parents or families and a couple even gave some to Coach Molly and me! 

I think I'm the one with the glasses.

Coach Molly trying to flag our girls down.

Playing while waiting for the rest of our group to arrive.
Once all of our girls were there we gathered in our typical circle and celebrated each girl by announcing her name and giving her the gift bag. I loved how they immediately put on the bracelets, necklace, hair tie and stickers we gave them. It was also fun to witness and get to help them put on their race bib, many for the first time. After everyone was settled we took some group photos and then the girls went to the various tables and decorated their hair and painted their pinky nail blue. After some announcements we all headed over to the start line. With some final hugs, high fives and smiles they were off! I have never cheered as loud or as proud as I did that night.

On the starting line. Thanks to one of our parents
for the great photo. 

After they ran by we all walked back to the finish chute where Molly and I found a good spot and stood there ready to give the girls their medals when they came in. While we were waiting it began to get darker and darker and the wind started to pick up. Off in the distance it was very dark and we could see lightening. Molly and I just kept hoping they would all get back in before the bad weather hit. We had a pretty good idea which of our girls would come in towards the beginning, middle and end. Boy did they prove us wrong!!! I am not sure if it was the excitement and adrenaline or the added bonus some of them had by running with their parents, but they really kicked butt. 

The wind really picked up and started blowing all the buds off the trees near the finish line, it was sort of a weird, eery feeling. The dark clouds were now over head and the thunder and lightening were getting close. As girls came in Molly and I screamed and cheered and Molly put their medals around their necks and they stayed and cheered for each other. 

Uh Oh. Photo taken from the GOTR FB page. 
I think when the rain started we had all but two of our girls in and a lot of them had decided to meet up with their families and try to get to their cars before the rain got too bad. The storm was crazy and it down poured so fast it was hard to react. One of our girls wasn't able to find her Dad, so I grabbed her and Coach Molly and we went inside one of the buildings to wait it out. It was a little scary and disappointing that we didn't get to have a group photo taken with their medals. I feel like I didn't even get the chance to say goodbye to some of the girls.  

Photo taken from the GOTR FB page. 

In the end everyone wound up making it back safe and sound, but it was a crazy ending to a wonderful coaching season. Someone (who doesn't get it) asked me once why I did this program since it was a volunteer position and I didn't get paid. How ignorant. I get paid something way better then money and that is the experience and unconditional love and support from these girls, because over the ten weeks I learned way more from them, then they did from me. I also got paid in the thanks and praises I received from the girls and their families. And the best payment of all? When the girls want to come back for another season! 

Our mascot "sholphin" is missing. 

Girls on The Run of Greater Rochester is going to be offering a Fall program for the first time. If you are interested in learning more, starting a site, coaching (men, it isn't just for the ladies) or even being a running buddy check out their site

No comments:

Post a Comment